Skip to main content

Allowing Time with God


Has there ever been a time in your life where everything felt routine? Going to work, church, taking care of your family, paying bills, it just seems like everything is on autopilot. You know you need a break in routine, but you just don’t know how to do it. I have been feeling like this lately, especially in ministry. I just want to tell everyone, my pastor, church friends, my family, that I need a break from all of them. I just want to take some Sundays off and get way and find some time to reflect. The problem is, when I get back from reflecting, the routine begins again. So I begin to ask myself, what does this mean? What do I need to do differently to break this routine. Something came to me so clearly, I need to take a break from everything else and allow time with God. I have felt like this before, and the one thing that I remember doing to get out of this rut was getting closer to God. Getting rid of the distractions and just allowing God to speak to me and I for once listen. We get so caught up in everything that is going on around us and in our lives, we get so consumed with our minor problems, that we forget to spend time with God. We forget to say a simple thank you when he wakes us up in the morning. We allow ourselves to get swept up in everyone and everything that we forget to put on our full armor and prepare ourselves for all that is thrown at us. How many of us can say that we read our bible everyday? We forget about the simple things or do we take our God for granted? Prayer is our way to communicate with God. It is our way of having open dialogue. When I find myself going through the motions of routine, I take that as a sign of not spending enough time with God. It forces me to go to him in prayer and read my bible and allow it and God to minister to me. 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18 instructs us to pray, “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus”. So if we have been charged to do this simple task, why is it so difficult for us to do or be consistent in it? I have found that when I pray, I am forced to deal with the issues of my heart. I have to face the very thing that is causing me to not want to pray because it means I have to accept it and acknowledge it. I believe that sometimes God allows us to deal with certain situations to get our attention. He knows that allowing certain circumstances to come our way will push us to him and spend time with him. One thing that God tells us to do is leave our issues at the altar. I have to remind myself even though I am facing my issues, I do not have to deal with them alone.  Matthew 11: 28 – 30 says it so eloquently, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give your rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  I can give it to God and he will work it all out for me, all I have to do is spend time with him and allow him to handle whatever issue that may come my way and spending time in his presence is better than feeling stuck in a rut and going through the motions of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Follow Your Own Path

"Life is complex. Each one of us must make his own path through life. There are no self-help manuals, no formulas, no easy answers. The right road for one is the wrong road for another ... The journey of life is not paved in blacktop; it is not brightly lit, and it has no road signs. It is a rocky path through the wilderness." -- M. Scott Peck We each have our own pathways to develop both personally and spiritually. They are based on our character and past experiences. No one else can identify our paths for us. Tune in to your inner guidance system and follow its direction. "What every man needs, regardless of his job or the kind of work he is doing, is a vision of what his place is and may be. He needs an objective and a purpose. He needs a feeling and a belief that he has some worthwhile thing to do. What this is no one can tell him. It must be his own creation."

Artist of the Week: Adrienne Caldwell

Relations As our lips met, the conversation grew deeper. It's like I could taste the words that were coming next. I almost choked on his sweet breath cuz He spit some real s**t that I could only respect Now, this kiss was no normal kiss at all It was more fictional, A conversation turned visual (in my mind of course). This brotha let words pass so easily through his lips That whatever he said sounded good, even if it was just bulls**t. So my naive mind allowed him to manipulate my thoughts. He invaded me on a mental note And honestly... I didn't want him to stop So I, searched for something more to talk about, But he caught on to my game. He started speaking to my heart and my mind, Trying to make it orgasm in this small amount of time. His flashy smile only made it worse. I was in love with the current situation though so I, Snapped back to reality and realized that conversation and good words have only Lead me to broken hearts so I, Quickly withdrew mysel

A Servant's Gift

If there are poor among you, in one of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be selfish or greedy toward them. But give freely to them, and freely lend them whatever they need. ~Deuteronomy 15: 7-8 Serving others is one of the best ways a Christian can walk like Christ. The book of Ephesians 2:10 states “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” God knew before we were born that we were created to serve. Our very purpose is to serve in one capacity or another. What area you are to serve in is a question you need to ask God. Maybe you already know, but you are just scared to take that leap of faith. Our word also tells us that God has not given us the spirit of fear…your service to others may spark your true calling. Maybe you are assisting with the Children’s Ministry, although you are only there to assist, you find that your true passion is in teaching or tr