Skip to main content

Knowing God's Will

I read this and thought that I should share it. I hope it answers a question that you were asking. Please enjoy!

Knowing God’s Will

Because more than a few of us struggle with the question, “How can I know the will of God?,” imagine this scenario:
We plead with God to show us what he wants us to do in a difficult situation. That night as we toss and turn, we dream that God shows up to answer our request. In his presence, we sense a love that is far beyond anything we ever imagined. But we are surprised when, after hearing our request, God asks us two questions: “Why are you asking? “What do you want to do?” Then we wake up…
While trying to imagine such an encounter, let’s try to think this through together in light of the way our Lord talks about his will in the Bible.
When looking for what the God “in whom we live and move and have our being” wants us to do,
1.  What can we learn from asking ourselves “Why we are asking?”
2. How important is what we want to do when seeking to know what God wants us to do?
3. How much can we get from  King David’s words when he says, “Trust in the LORD, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass” (Psalm 37:3-5)?
I’ve heard it said that there are two ways of understanding the will of God. One way is to see it as a narrow line that we must walk to connect the dots of what God wants us to do– from one specific instruction to the next. A second way is to see the will of God as being like a large circle full of general principles and bounded on the circumference by lines that we are told not to cross.
The first approach amounts to to following a narrow line that requires more specific answers than the Bible gives us. The second says that anything within the boundaries of God’s revealed will represents the freedom that has been given us to delight ourselves in him, while focusing on what he has already told us about trusting him, and about loving one another in love and truth.
While not wanting to dismiss the need for due diligence, or listening to the voice of wisdom, is it possible that we sometimes we are far too preoccupied with details, when the Lord is looking primarily for our hearts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out with the Old in with the New

As we all get ready for the new year, many have resolutions that they will or will not stick to. Some will make life altering changes and there are those who we have lost who will not bring in the new year with us. Regardless of where we are/were in our lives in the current year, the new year always brings hope and optimism to those who are looking for something to believe in. As we go into the new year, lets all set aside our selfish desires and help someone in need. I am a believer that God blesses us to be a blessing to others and that is the approach that I am going to take into the new year. I still have some work to do, but as long as I know that I am trying there is hope for another person who has no idea where to start. When I started this blog, I had one thought in mind, to motivate and encourage people to be their best one blog at a time. That is my life's purpose!  I want to thank my supporters of AZA Means Strength and I encourage you all to know that you have AZA withi

God will give the strength you need!

AZA Means Strength is what my blog is about. I feel that my life's purpose is to influence others to be positive and love who God has created them to be. When I was first on my journey of finding myself, I thought that fulfilling my purpose meant being known for something great or making sure that I touched every life that I came in contact with in a positive way. But I have soon come to realize that I was having problems because I was trying to fulfill my purpose and not God's purpose. Once this came into perspective, things became very clear for me, my thinking began to change and I have a better understanding that in everything that I do, I am to do it with all my strength and with all my soul because I am serving the Lord. Now I am not perfect and I know that I still have some work to do in my personal walk with God, but one thing that I will say is that I seek Him in all decisions that are made. With the fact that I am human, I still have to remind myself that God is in co

Don't Avoid the Void

To change, we must go through a transition zone. It's not easy being in transition. Thoughts, beliefs and habits are all in flux. It can create a sense of groundless, of being in a void that can be quite uncomfortable. When we’re in the void, our first impulse will be to revert to old habits because they feel comfortable. Our goal is to hang in there until the change is complete.  Knowing that TRANSITIONS ARE PART OF THE CHANGE PROCESS helps us muster the courage to put up with the discomfort, the uneasiness, the void. Change requires a letting go of what we’ve always known and done to allow in something new. We need to trust ourselves and higher forces to unfold a new reality for us. "Every positive change - every jump to a higher level of energy and awareness - involves a rite of passage. Each time to ascend to a higher rung on the ladder of personal evolution, we must go through a period of discomfort, of initiation. I have never found an exception."